Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why we should Scrapbook ourselves! – Part 3

Personal Page Layouts

Well in Part 1, I talked about taking some half way decent photos of yourself in private. In Part 2 I spoke of various ways to print those pictures. So here in Part 3, it’s time for me to talk about the Personal Page Layouts themselves.

I know you are probably thinking…”all right then, where exactly do I start?” . Well as with all things in scrapbooking there is no particular starting point, but I will share mine with you.

I had seen a number of BOM pages… “Book Of Me” pages in various books and magazines. Some of them were simple lists of likes (or dislikes!) “10 things about me” sort of pages. I quite liked the idea of these and thought they would be fairly simple to achieve. But you know, it’s actually quite difficult at first, spending time thinking about your “real” likes and dislikes.

Now then, by “real” I mean those preferences which are actually yours and not the preferences you have “acquired” from your partner, or children. Life, when you decide to share it with someone, is a life full of compromise, is it not? It’s supposed to be give and take, but if you’re not careful your personality becomes a compromise too. It’s all too easy to slip into the “well I don’t eat that anymore because no-one else in the house likes it”, “oh well he (or she) likes to sort all that out”, “I don’t do (whatever) because my partner doesn’t like it”!

Because of this merge of personalities, and our natural selflessness when we become parents, we lose sight of our “real” selves. Frankly, if you are a little bit like me, you may have even “tried” to lose yourself, but we can “run, but we can’t hide” eh?! And it is precisely this loss that makes it difficult for us to scrapbook ourselves.

I actually started my first Layout with the lyrics of a particular favourite song in mind… “It’s My Life” by Bon Jovi.

I chose the colours I like most, I used a real maple leaf which I had pressed years ago because I really liked its shape and colour and, when I made the page, I was really into tags and buttons (well I still am really!) There is a pocket for some hidden journaling, but although I have made the insert for this, I have not actually written the journaling.

“Why?” I hear you ask.

Well the answer is that this is a really personal page for me and I would like to write lots of personal things there, and maybe some day I will, just not right now, although I have taken a few notes! So even if you don’t know exactly what you want to say yet… just leave room for your journaling, whether it’s hidden or not.

As part of a demo for Scrapbuddies – my monthly crop, I created a page called “5 Things about Me”. I tried to get my scrapbooking group to do some self portrait pages but they all looked terribly uncomfortable at the thought of having to put a photograph of themselves on a scrapbook page! This is why I also did a demo of a page with no photo… just a whole load of ribbons – because I love ribbons!

So you see you can easily create pages about yourself without your “mug-shot”! Don’t be afraid to write about yourself… it’s what others want to read!

Part 4 will be about something EVEN more personal… a mini album for your husband/partner for an anniversary or valentines… my husband loves his!!

1 comment:

Bonita Rose said...

thank you for your comment on my blog.. and yes, feel free to use my writings/my post, with the valid blog link back to my orig post.. of course... I will do some thinking and send u something when I can.. ur email addy is?? plse let me know at bonnieangel1797@gmail.com thks!!!!