Saturday, August 18, 2007

Scrapbooking out of your "Comfort Zone"

This is a page I created for a "Team Challenge" on UKScrappers.

A teammate set the challenge and, because it contained "use yellow and white papers" I should have groaned (because I don't like yellow as a rule), but I didn't. I was actually looking forward to it!

This is because it gets me "out of my comfort zone". I wouldn't normally like to gather all my yellow bits together and get scrapping, but in this challenge I had to! And I am actually quite pleased with the result.

I have scrapped yellow pages before because (and I did it for the same reason) - my mum-in-law likes yellow and so for Christmas I hand made her a yellow album and inside I made a few pages (not all yellow mind!) every so often I make her a few pages to go into the album.

Although I haven't made them all yellow and orange, I have leant towards the colours she likes in most of them and it makes me use the stash I wouldn't normally - not to mention actually buying it in the first place.

That's why challenges can be great for getting your creative juices flowing, they make you think about stuff you wouldn't normally use. Also great because if you have bought and packs of paper or embellishments or maybe a kit or two, there is usually something in there to which you think "Mmmm, not too sure about that," or, "Oh I won't use that!"

Well maybe take a look on the web, type "scrapbooking challenges" into a search engine to get you started. A good site which posts monthly challenges is an Australian Site called The Scrap Witch and this is their August set of challenges.

You never know - you may a challenge is right up your street! Oh and the rest of the challenge for which this layout was made...
White and Yellow papers
2-3 photos of garden wildlife or flowers
use buttons
use ribbon!

No comments: